Lately I've stuffed all my vintage buttons into various bottles from the kitchen, they're as colour coded as can be (or as much as I had time for last year, 'beige or yellow?' same diff for now!) and make for very useful weights.
My Built By Wendy Books (Sew U and Sew You Stretch) talked about using cans of tomatos or cans of chickpeas for weighing down your pattern pieces, and I thought since I'm using vintage patterns for the great "Amanda's Vintage Pattern Challenge" (they're Amanda's) I'll not risk using pins as I go about cutting the pattern pieces out. These pieces were already cut, as I think was the trend back then, so just needed a bit of flattening overnight on the ironing board and today I used my button bottles to weigh down the bits for easy and preserving snip snip snips.
The only change I made so far was to cut the hem of the skirts (3 skirt pieces in total) to 19 inches from the waistline. I'm sure I've told you many times that I am a
Oh, and one of the collar pieces (there's 2 of the same piece required) I had to cut differently (ie, using the opposite grain) because I ran out of material on the fold as well, but luckily there was enough bits left over ... I want to say 'upstairs' because I was putting the leftover fabric on the table, and then cut the skirt pieces out on the floor.